on Broadway, not in my life.
There are shows opening next season that I am actually excited to see:
1. reasons to be pretty: Neil LaBute is always interesting and modern, even if not consistently my taste. It's about the American obsession with physical appearance, which is a pretty ordinary topic, but I think he could address it in a fresh way. The potential problem: Piper Perabo.
2. Mary Stuart: I had such England-envy when this was playing at the Donmar Warehouse. Everything pertaining to Elizabeth I is good by me, and this is supposed to a political thriller that is actually both politcal and thrilling. Plus, Janet McTeer can do no wrong.
3. West Side Story: This is exactly the type of musical that should be revived. It's a musical that warrants the degree of popularity it has accrued. It will probably never close and probably never should. I like that Maria (Karen Olivo) is accomplished but not already over-exposed. And I like her face.
4. Hair: Another good revival, it will be interesting to see which one wins the Tony (probably West Side though). I pretty much can't think of an old-school musical I would be more excited to see revived with the technology/avenues of artistry that they didn't have 40 years.
5. Waiting for Godot: I feel like I've lived this play. Nathan Lane can be annoying but he's good. And last year Bill Irwin was working at PTC, so that's fun.
6. You're Welcome. A Final Night With George Bush: Will Ferrell + Broadway is the new peanut butter and honey.
Maybe it's because we are in an election year, but things seem to be political and/or commenting specifically on American-ness. I likes.
No comments:
Post a Comment