Saturday, May 1, 2010

19 mins

Photobucket
I had complicated feelings going into this book. I remember a long time ago, my dad had this book and I read the inside cover and thought it sounded like it could be good but probably wasn't. This was before I loved Jodi and my dad hadn't said he was wowed, so we the book got lumped into the donate pile. That book is probably the same one I took out of the libary to read. It made me sad to think of though, partly because anything with a dad association has a cloud around it, and partly because I wish I had read it back in the day so I could have talked to him about it. Moral of the story: always read the book.
It was a good one. There is something about school shootings that make for the best fiction, IMO. I guess because you are guaranteed a good court tangle, extreme characters, backstories/flashbacks, and just the drama of it from every angle. This book was a prime example of how JP takes seemingly straight-up situations and floods you with the specifics from life that make the unthinkable kind of understandable. She recycled two good characters fromo other books and those two characters were my stand-out favorites. I liked or loved it, but there was something about the ending that didn't click well for me.
B+

No comments: