My 2009 Tony Award opinions.
Best Play
Dividing the Estate
God of Carnage
Reasons to Be Pretty
33 Variations
* I vote Reasons to Be Pretty bc Neil LaBute is clever and Moises Kaufman has had his day. Kaufman has good ideas that I don't think translate quite as well, but LaBute's actual writing is so much sharper. I don't know too much about God of Carnage but it does seem kind of awesome [or boring].
Best Musical
Billy Elliot, The Musical
Next to Normal
Rock of Ages
Shrek The Musical
* Obviously, it will be Billy Elliot & that is ok by me.
Best Revival of a Play
Joe Turner's Come and Gone
Mary Stuart
New Version: Peter Oswald
The Norman Conquests
Waiting for Godot
* I'm hoping for Mary Stuart since it's a Donmar import, but Waiting for Godot is more of an easy, name-casted production, so boo.
Best Revival of a Musical
Guys and Dolls
Hair
Pal Joey
West Side Story
* It's funny that G&D and WSS could have pretty easily had great, crowd-pleasing productions & both have gotten terrible reviews. Hair would have been my first choice anyway, but now I think it actually has a shot. But stupid Pal Joey will probably win since it's gross and people love gross revivals.
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play
Jeff Daniels, God of Carnage
Raúl Esparza, Speed-the-Plow
James Gandolfini, God of Carnage
Geoffrey Rush, Exit the King
Thomas Sadoski, Reasons to Be Pretty
* Geoffrey Rush is in his own category here.
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play
Hope Davis, God of Carnage
Jane Fonda, 33 Variations
Marcia Gay Harden, God of Carnage
Janet McTeer, Mary Stuart
Harriet Walter, Mary Stuart
* What does it say about the quality of actresses in a season if they can only pull the nominees from 3 shows? Jane Fonda's a joke, Marcia Gay Harden is old news (but I think the front-runner), and the Mary Stuart ladies are gold.
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical
David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, and Kiril Kulish ‚ Billy Elliot, The Musical
Gavin Creel, Hair
Brian d'Arcy James, Shrek The Musical
Constantine Maroulis, Rock of Ages
J. Robert Spencer, Next to Normal
* Brian d'Arcy James is so 1990s & Constantine is an American Idol gremlin, so no. Gavin Creel is hott, so that would be fine. But I like it when children win Tonys, so cheers to the little tripping billies.
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical
Stockard Channing, Pal Joey
Sutton Foster, Shrek The Musical
Allison Janney, 9 to 5: The Musical
Alice Ripley, Next to Normal
Josefina Scaglione, West Side Story
* Alice Ripley & Sutton Foster are pointless. I want Josefina the underdog.
Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical
Jennifer Damiano, Next to Normal
Haydn Gwynne, Billy Elliot, The Musical
Karen Olivo, West Side Story
Martha Plimpton, Pal Joey
Carole Shelley, Billy Elliot, The Musical
* Karen Olivo is so pretty, but my heart belongs to Martha.
Best Choreography
Karole Armitage, Hair
Andy Blankenbuehler, 9 to 5: The Musical
Peter Darling, Billy Elliot, The Musical
Randy Skinner, Irving Berlin's White Christmas
* I just think it says something that both West Side Story and Guys & Dolls were both left out of this category when they could have had such easy nominations.
No comments:
Post a Comment