
She used allusions to The Crucible and the Jack & Jill nursery rhyme, which I love. I'm a big fan of authors incorporating other voices within their own. I feel like the themes of The Crucible/McCarthy hearings/etc. have gotten to the point of being boring, but this was a fresh take on because there was just a hint of The Crucible flavor instead of it being the same old main course. It's fun that Jodi girl intertwines characters from book to book (esp. in this case since it was a lawyer and that makes sense). I think though, she needs to be careful of recycling plot points (a maybe-raped victim chops off her long red hair...didn't that happen in the 10th cirlce?). Girlfriend always has plot shockers but she dropped bombs right up until the last line. I liked the story that was told in Second Glance better, but liked the storyteller here best of all. In an interview, she said thepoint she wanted to hammer in was that lies can outpace the truth everytime. I don't know if I agree, but I definitely don't disagree.
A+
No comments:
Post a Comment