Tuesday, February 24, 2009

the movie critic herself

Rented me some more movies.

1. Vicky Christina Barcelona: Liked it & would recommend it, but that may be because it was the perfect prescription for my mood at the time. Woody Allen somehow always has a cheery tone to apply to any mood. I liked having a narrator because it establishes character in a way that is [in theory] non-biased & is just a refreshing change of pace in the movies I've seen lately. I can see why Penelope Cruz won the Oscar because her part was one that could have easily become a caricature & she did make it memorable/believable. I liked that the ending was abrupt. No matter how good a movie is, I'm always kind of glad to see it end.

A

2. Atonement: I am not a Kiera Knightley fan, but I think this is her most well-acted and most-attractively stylished role yet. The part of the younger sister was played by three actresses, all of whom were very well cast. I always like stories about two sisters because they hit home. I wish I hadn't known the ending before I watched it (ironically, which I knew because of my sister) because I think it would have been surprising/salvaging. Slow-moving, well-acted, good story, but another period peice that was not all that exceptional.

B

3. Definitely, Maybe: First off, the soundtrack was a guilty pleasure that was much more pleasure than guilty. I love the mid-early 90's music, and am always a fan of Nirvana getting a nod. It was one of those movies you have to watch twice to appreciate, and sitting through a movie twice (which I did) is a feat to be accomplished. Rachel Weisz & Kevin Kline were impeccable, I don't like Abigail Bresin's face too much, I liked the blonde girl because she was on Scrubs, and the guy seemed like a somewhat random leading man but was fine (and seemed like a very appropriate 1990s type).

B

No comments: